
There are times when I long for an old-fashioned Christmas.
Simple things.....
Laughter........
Homemade gifts...........
Celebrating the birth of a Savior..........
Where has Christmas gone? Why have we forgotten the true meaning?
Why has materialism and commercialism become the norm?
Every Christmas I wish for the same thing and I make a pledge.
"Next year is going to be simpler."
A candy cane, an orange, one candy, a bag of peanuts and a small toy in the stocking.
3 gifts under the tree. Preferably plenty of homemade and thoughtful ones wrapped in brown kraft paper and tied up with raffia twine or red ribbon.
Christmas music playing softly. No fighting over the Playstation or what show to watch on TV.
The Bible laid open to the first couple chapters in Luke.
Candlelight and Christmas lights twinkling.
Doesn't it sound lovely?
And then again, I'm drawn into the hustle and bustle. The waiting in lines. The frustration with people. Forgetting to remember each and every second, the birth of Jesus.
God is so gracious and loving....... so merciful and kind........
He knows my heart and my wishes.....
And again, I say "Next year..........."
Next year it will be simpler.
"Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over the flocks by night. And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. Then the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."
---- Luke 2: 8-11
The shepherds weren't trying to score the best deal at the store.
They weren't even worried about their flocks.
In Luke 2 verse 16, it says that they "came with haste and found Mary and Joseph and the Babe lying in a manger."
And after running out of the hills, into Bethlehem, finding the Baby, panting because of their urgency to reach the Child........ What did they do?
Verse 20----
"Then the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen..."
May we all glorify and praise God for all the things that this holiday means. And the gift that was sent directly from Heaven.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Glory to God in the Highest!
Oh yes, me too. Your post said it all, and I've been wishing for this kind of Christmas for many years. A great thought-provoking post, thank you. xx
ReplyDeleteYes, it does sound wonderful! Holiday shopping in stores drives me crazy (about 90% of my shopping was done at amazon.com this year, and it did make the season a little more enjoyable). Still would love a little more Christmas music and a little less TV, and little more Bible reading and a little less Santa-visiting. Like you said, with prayer, maybe next year.
ReplyDeleteWell said. :)
ReplyDeleteThat was a wonderful post, Lisa! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteVery good post, and exactly what I would have said, had I thought of it! An unhurried, uncommercialized, thoughtful christmas celebrating family, and the birth of our Lord.
ReplyDeleteI agree with with your words on a more simple Christmas. I think we all feel that way! Have a blessed New Year! blessings,Kathleen
ReplyDelete