I got this vintage Montgomery Ward family scale with a basket of wooden eggs. This sat in Uncle Clarence's kitchen and I always thought it was the cutest thing. Now it sits on my kitchen counter.
This is an antique buffet hutch. I love this!
A little cow stool that Kaycie chose to keep. She remembers sitting on this when we've been at Uncle Clarence's house. It now sits by the kids' bookshelf. (notice the udders!)
A beautiful antique dresser. It has a large, oval vanity mirror ,that we are repairing, that attaches to it. It needs some work but I think the girls will love having this dresser in their room.
Other items we got: vintage croquet game set (Kyle's), antique pocket knife (Ryan's), cribbage board, popcorn popper, quilt rack, a push broom for the shop/garage, and an antique iron (which we were told, besides ironing shirts, was warmed on a woodstove and wrapped in a blanket or towel, then placed at the foot of the kids' bed to warm their feet in the winter at night.)
We will greatly miss Uncle Clarence but I'm so glad we have these things to remember him by.
Wow what treasures. The memories included.
ReplyDeleteI like the new blog look. Love that picture at the top!
that is so wonderful!! How great to have something of his to remind you of him always. :) And it's stuff that is so you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea. I like that the children were involved too. Their memories of people are often connected to different things than ours. I remember my Grandmother sticking stickers with all the family members names on them to her good china, crystal etc so we all knew what was our when she passed away. I thought it was a bit weird at the time but it was like getting a gift from her when we did lose her.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose someone special in our lives. What nice things to be able to keep. It does feel wierd to go through someone else's things, but that is what I want my family to do when my time comes. Blessings,Kathleen
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tribute to your uncle, Lisa! I know he'd be pleased. I love all your treasures! He sounds like he was a very giving man and now you'll always have his memory in your home. Very special post!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great way to keep a memory alive. I am just wandering why not the Accordian Lisa.LOL
ReplyDeleteLove Becky
That was a beautiful tribute to your uncle, Lisa. You have wonderful memories of him!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely thing for your husband you and your children.
ReplyDelete