Yesterday my son served as an Honorary Page at our State Capitol Building.
We arose early (5 am) and headed to the big city. We weren't totally sure what to expect,or what his actual duties would be.
After checking him in, he was introduced to the Honorary Page Coordinator. There were only 4 other kids from across the state involved that day.
Ryan served with our State Representative in the House of Representatives.
His duties included: holding the door for the Representatives, delivering notes during the bill sessions, "guarding" the entrance to the Floor (only Reps and those sworn in can be on the actual "Floor").
He did have to take an oath to be allowed into the room. He pledged to uphold our Constitution of The US, uphold the Oregon state Constitution and perform his duties as Page to the best of his ability.
Ryan had a great day... he learned alot! At lunch break, he couldn't stop talking about everything that he had done and the people he met.
After lunch, the kids got to do some fun things. They got a personal tour of the building, and did a treasure hunt.
I spent alot of time wandering around the capitol building and grounds (when the rain stopped), I watched an anti-war demonstration on the Capitol steps too.
All in all, a good day!
You are such a good photographer!
ReplyDeleteCongrats to your son. It sounds like it was quite an honor.
ReplyDeleteWow, thats an experience and a half for a young boy. What an amazing building too, inside and out.
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures. Good job Ryan. I am glad you had a good day.
ReplyDeleteHmmm what happened? I thought I left you a comment here. right when you posted it. But I don't see it and on top of that I just checked my gmail account (it is my email tied to my face book to which I rarely go) and these four messages were on my gmail? What button did my fat fingers hit instead?
ReplyDeleteI was wondering if you're going to have him go back as a page? My oldest daughter did it and had a very good time. But she didn't enter politics (secret fear).