I can't believe it's been this long since I last posted. I guess life gets busy (or maybe lazy?) and computer time takes a backseat to other things.
We've been enjoying our summer and relishing every moment at the river! Especially the last 4-5 days... it's been over 100 degrees!
We do not have AC so we are trying to be creative in ways to cool down. Having the river right here helps. I told Ken the other night , as we were sitting in the 90 + degree house, "Why are we sitting here roasting when the river is so close?" HIs reply, "I have no idea!"
So back to the refreshing coolness we went!!
It has been a challenge keeping the animals cool and safe in this heat. In fact, we have lost one hen. Last night I went in the hen house to check on them and Tansy had died sitting on her egg in the nesting box. Poor girl!
I tried to keep the air flow moving in there and had been watering the dirt in the chicken yard with the hose to keep the soil cooled down. She must have stayed in there too long.
Last night we laid out on the deck until 10:30 just watching the night sky. One of my favorite things to do! We spotted some shooting stars and satellites going by. We talked of how amazing it is that God placed each of those stars in the perfect spot in the sky. How He know each of them by name!!
On another note, the kids and I took a little trip home for a couple of days. We had so much fun seeing our friends and spending time visiting. We love and miss you all!
As far as quilting goes, I did start the quilting on Kyle's "United We Stand" quilt. I am really liking how it's turning out! I need to practice keeping my fabric taut to prevent puckers in the back. But it is hand made and thus, will have some imperfections so I don't stress too much about it.
We are planning a couple of mini trips during August. Summer is disappearing faster than I like!!
So that is our update for now. Just wanted to let you all know that I'm still around, just busy with summery things.
"The heavens declare the glory of God;
And the firmament shows His handiwork."
-- Psalm 19 :1
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like you are having a wonderful, relaxing summer. I would not be happy with the 100 degree heat though. If it's hotter than 75, I'm unhappy!
ReplyDeleteI was thinking about you yesterday wondering what you'd been up to! Sounds like you guys are really having a summer there! Our high yesterday was 70. Not so summerish. Sorry to hear about your hen. I'm looking forward to seeing that finished quilt!
ReplyDeleteYes, the summer is speeding by but you all are spending it in the best sort of way - being together and being creative:) Love the verse you included here!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are having a lovely time. We love going to the mountains and staying by the river in the summer too. Its hard getting away from the animals though when its hot. I'm lucky my parents house/animal sit for our holidays.
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel with no AC. When we first moved in, we had no AC, no heat...except for the fire place and no electric stove. The first year, we were pioneers. However, we spent our tax refund well and am so thankful for AC/Heating and the electric stove, except I like gas cooking much better. Our house is total electric, sigh. It is nice to have a river next to your home! Enjoy and try to stay cool. blessings,Kathleen
ReplyDeleteYes indeed it is hot and there is more work to do and less time to sit. Only because of the grape arbor and mock orange that cover the south side of the house, but with tablecloths on every window and fans blowing over frozen water in milk jugs I've managed to keep it under eighty in the house. I don't have a river to run to, just murky beaver ponds that are slowly shrinking. Good to hear from you and sorry 'bout the loss of a chicken. Hang in there in the heat!
ReplyDelete