Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Headaches

I'll warn you right now, this post is me in my bitter, frustrated and angry mood.

How many hours my kids are in public school each day..... 7
How many hours we spend as a family each day.... maybe 3 (if Ken gets home by 5pm)
How many hours do I get to spend with my children..... 5
What do I try to teach my kids........ truth, God's truth
What does the public school try to teach my kids......... baloney garbage

So if my kids are actually at the public school more then they are with our family, how can i expect anything i've taught them to sink in?
Other people are raising my kids........ and that makes me angry!

Don't give me the line about homeschooled kids not getting the social interaction....... that's a bunch of spittle!
Homeschool kids interact and socialize as much as their parents allow. They still can play sports on the team, they can still be involved in clubs such as 4-H, they still attend the church youth groups...........
So why do I send my kids off to "socialize" with kids I don't even want them to socialize with?
It doesn't make any sense to me.

If I were to list the pros and cons of each (homeschool vs public), ............ wait I can't do that.. I can't think of a pro for public school that homeschool can't meet or exceed.

I"ve just spent 4 hours.......... 4 HOURS!!!......... looking and pouring over 22 Principal/Administrator applications for our small k-12 charter school. Yikes! There are some strange monkeys out there!!
There were a few that i found promising and would like to see interviewed but just thinking about how my conservative values and morals will be going up against some liberal thinkers, well, it just gives me a headache.

Then to come home and look at my 7th graders homework for science, made my headache even worse. Origins of the EArth....... give me a break! 483 million or was it billion years ago!? What?
How sad that our children are being shovel-fed lies instead of truth.
Not long ago, the school curriculum was .......THE BIBLE!
It was used for science, english, social studies, history, math, writing , spelling......... for it all.
now we've replaced the only infallible book in history with man's theories.
Here kids... don't believe what God says but instead believe what some man has made up!

headaches, i tell you, headaches.

4 comments:

  1. If you want I could help you add to your pros and cons list. Socialize? What life form does a body spend most of it's time as? A child or an adult? So what do I really want my child to concentrate on, to learn to emulate, a child or an adult?

    How well is this experiment that we (culture) have been in the middle of for the last eighty years going? I dunno, how long do they say adolescence last now? 'til people are in their thirties? MMMMM, great target we've got.

    I'm sorry you are feelin' the headaches. You are doing an amazing job in spite of the tight spot you are in. At least you are acutely aware of what is going on, most parents are a bit blind or at least myopic when it comes to what is really coming into their lives via "wonderful" school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hum, I felt like posting some rants yesterday too because I was tired, and didn't feel well and just wanted some stinkin' peace and quiet to myself for a while. But I didn't. Instead, I just posted it here! LOL.
    O.k. now I feel better.
    I do feel your pain though on the whole public school thing. Wyatt goes to public school. We do have problems once in a while but it's not awful. Plus, I don't think I possibly could homeschool him at this point. I barely get a shower every other day, barely get laundry done or the kids fed or fincance done......and on and on. But I do plan on homeschooling my youngest 3 and I'm thankful that hubby is with me on that. (I'm still praying for you, Ken and this struggle.)
    The best you can do is teach them the Word, live the Word by example and know that the Lord is watching over them.
    When Wyatt has to do science he just looks at it, laughs, knows it's all a bunch of lies anyway and does his homework anyway. All science is not bad anyway- just the whole evolution part. We acutally have a couple DVD's that use science to explain the Bible. They're pretty good. Wyatt has seen them. They certainly give you ways to defend your faith THROUGH science!
    O.k., sorry, I've just written a novel here. I should have just emailed you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that change will come your way soon. Hang in there. It sounds to me like you are doing a wonderful job with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm new to your blog and just read this post. I am a public school teacher but I'm not here to correct you at all. There are so many bad things about public school that I wish I could change. I love what I do because I love the kids-- but, they are products of their home environments (most of them) even though we have them for most of their day. Having said that, whatever you are teaching your children is going to stick with them much more than what they are exposed to at school (and I'm speaking socially). I have the luxury of teaching in a small school where we don't care if we offend people by being Christians, it's who we are. I read Max Lucado's weekly devotional out loud to one of my 8th grade classes every week...and they ask for more. It even made one of my girls cry b/c she felt convicted and the counselor and I gave the glory to God b/c he provided that moment for us to witness to her. I hate that not every public school teacher feels like they can do that. My philosophy is that if I get fired in His name, he'll most certainly provide for me!! After all, in the end, I don't have to answer to John Q. Public, I have to answer to my Father. I'm so sorry that our school system has fallen victim to the government and I agree that there are those who have less than the best intended for our babies (adults and kids alike)but I can totally understand where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete