Friday, April 3, 2009

My Quilting Niche

I found this book at the little library in the next town over. (Quilt Shack by R. Norum & H.A. Krohg)

From the moment I opened it up, I knew I was going to love this one!

I'm not a fan of anything modern, so to find a book that has patterns and fabric ideas that look antique or vintage was exciting for me!

I think just about every project in this book is one I want to try. My problem is that being a new quilter, I haven't figured out yet which projects would be too difficult for me.

Here are some of my favorites:



The authors provide detailed instructions and pictures which definitely help me out when working through the process.


This one was designed for one of the authors' daughter who is visually impaired. She wanted to provide a high-contrast design for her.

The book has beautiful pictures showcasing the quilts.
After flipping through it, I jumped on Amazon.com and found the book for $1.95!!!
So after a quick purchase, this book is on it's way to my home, for me to keep.
I hope to be able to make some quilts from this one!

4 comments:

  1. Lisa, I'm with you, I like the very old fashioned quilts, the ones like my grandmother and mother used to make. They used color coordination to a certain degree but it was definitely still done of scraps, either from other sewing projects or from the good parts of worn clothes.

    My grandmother used to tell of how she had to lay ot the scraps she chose to go together to make a quilt and then decide from there which pattern would best suit the scraps she had.

    My favorites were two of her wool scrap quilts, one she made from the satin scraps from making the home town basketball uniforms and the cotton one I had on my bed all my non-married life. That one she said she did have the pattern first and just kept collecting the little squares of fabric until she had enough.

    I'm always excited to see you next adventure in quilting. When my sewing room is done and the gardening tapers off (I'm thinking May or at least June), I am determined to join you in quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great book! I really love old looking quilts. My favorite kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the one on the beach and draped over the chair. I'm with you. I like a more traditional quilt. Have you taken any quilt classes? Crazy Mom Quilts has numerous quilting tutorials on her blog. I've learned tons from her. I also took a basic quilting class from a local shop, that was one of the best things I ever did. Looking forward to seeing which one you decide to work on first and watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like your gonna have some fun with this book. I should make a quilt. LOL!

    ReplyDelete