Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Carrot Cake Obsession

Doesn't that just make your mouth water and your lips smack?

I have been obsessed with this cake lately. I made it for my husband's birthday a few weeks ago and then was talking about this recipe with some friends last week. Ever since, I kept thinking about it.

So I broke down and made it again yesterday.
I had some for dessert last night, for breakfast this morning, and for a little afternoon snack today.
Hey, it's OK, it has vegetables and fruit in it!

Here is the yummy recipe:

2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups grated carrots (I use my hand chopper to finely chop them instead of grating , it saves time)
1 cup coconut
8 oz can of crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I leave this out, my hubby doesn't like nuts)

In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Set aside. In another bowl; combine oil with sugar and add the beaten eggs. Add vanilla and mix well.
Add the flour mixture into wet ingredients. When mixed; add the carrots, coconut, pineapple and walnuts.

Lightly grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans (I use a large Pyrex baking pan instead). Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.

Meanwhile, make frosting.

Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar
Whip together cream cheese and butter; add vanilla. Slowly mix in powdered sugar.
Frost the cooled cake.

5 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I will have to try it. Do you have any good spice cake recipe's? I just learned that my sister really likes spice cake so I'd like to try to make it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can anything with all those beautiful worthy ingredients be resisted when it calls. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks really similar to my carrot cake recipe and it's soooooo good, so I know why you were obsessing for sure!

    ReplyDelete