Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Good Steward-- Thinking On This

I've been thinking lately on what it means to be a good steward of the blessings God has given me.
It's something that I need to be more aware of. How do I use the things that God blesses me with? And do I use them wisely and for His glory?
The thought first started with our finances. We have struggled in this area. I know we are not alone with this problem but I don't want to be a family that overspends just because other families do. For example: Just because someone else may jump off a cliff doesn't mean I have to.

Sometimes it's a very hard decision to make. We are not going on a planned trip for 5-6 days this week because we just don't have the money to go. Sure, I could put it on the credit card and believe me I thought about it. But then I felt like God was reminding me that doing that would not be a wise choice with the money He has given us.

So our little vacation was cancelled. We are bummed. But I feel better knowing that I followed God's voice and heeded what He was telling me.
I want our finances to be used for His purpose. If that purpose is to provide for my kids' college education, so be it. If it's to save up for a family vacation, so be it. If we are meant to pay off our vehicles, so be it.
Another area I've been thinking about being a good steward in is our time.

Does God want me to spend my time watching TV? Should I spend more time sewing? Do I need more time in the Word? How about some quiet time to just listen to His voice? My time should always honor Him and please Him.

What about our property/ our home? Can I be a good steward of my home? Do I take care of the inside as well as the outside?

As I was weeding in the garden tonight and then moved on to shoveling out dandelions in the kids play area, I got to thinking on this again.
Is God pleased when I take care of the things He has given me? Is He pleased with me as I have dirty fingernails and my hair falling out of its ponytail as I kneel in the garden? Sure He is!!

My children were running and laughing in the pasture. My hubby snoring in his chair after a long day at work. And me shoveling dandelions. Why did I all of a sudden think, "Am I being a good steward for God?"
" As I work at removing unwanted weeds from around my home, am I using my time wisely? Am I being a good steward?" And then I felt Him tell me , "YES!!"
My children are happy. Bellies full from dinner. A large freshly-mowed pasture to run in. Each other to play with.

My hubby is full from dinner also. Content to relax in his chair. And peaceful as he dozes.

I'm full. My tummy and my heart.

The bitter smell of dandelions mingles with the scent of the mowed grass. My back aches with each push of the shovel.... yet it pleases me.

Thank you God for the blessings You give me. Whether it be a full tummy, happy children, or even dandelions to shovel. I want to be a good steward of all that You provide. Help me to use those things wisely and for Your glory.
"Honor the Lord with your possessions,
And with the firstfruits of all your increase;
So your barns will be filled with plenty,
And your vats will overflow with new wine."
--Proverbs 3: 9 & 10

11 comments:

  1. Lisa, what a wonderful post! We all need to be good stewards of what the Lord has given us and that was a wonderful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy hearing your thoughts! I have been thinking about this a lot lately...and sorry but yes the clothesline pillow was bought.:( sorry, but I can always do a custom order with something similar. I know it is always hard to sell the ones I love the most, but I guess that is the point, selling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were thinking about these things the other day. My husband started his own business a few months ago and we have good weeks and really scary weeks, as the money comes in week to week. This week was a really good week so we gave thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being thankful like you've shown here fills us with joy:) I'm learning that when we give up something (like a vacation) God blesses us with something else in its place. You are a wonderful writer, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa I love that you have such a strong desire for living a godly life. You are such an amazing person. You are such a great writer. Thank you for sharing what’s in your heart. I hope that you keep it up. I love and miss you more than I can say. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well written Lisa! and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are making a great decision in canceling your trip. The peace of mind of not overspending feels better than the quick fun of a vacation.

    My hubs and I got out of debt many years ago and it was so great writing out the last check to our lendors. Seriously great! It took lots of time and effort, but was completely worth it. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good thoughts Lisa! And heck, your life is something people would pay to go and experience as a "vacation"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just loved your lovely words and thoughts! We all need to be good stewards of even the smallest of things and you certainly are doing a good job! In 1 Samuel 16:7 it says " God looks on the heart" I am sure He is pleased when he does this with you! blessings,Kathleen

    ReplyDelete