Saturday, September 12, 2009

Have We Already Forgotten 9/11?


I asked my kids if they did anything at school to commemorate 9/11.

All 3 of them said "No". Kyle said that his teacher asked, "What happened on this day 8 years ago?". But that was about it.

Now that bothers me. I'm not saying I want them to sit around and watch hours of 9/11 footage on TV or spend every class discussing it. I just thought that a nice, respectful time of remembering would be good.

Maybe a certain time when all the classes stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance together. Or a time to gather around the flag pole and spend a few minutes together remembering.

It makes me wonder what our country will be in future years if we are not raising our children to respect Veterans, or to remember those fateful days in our history. If our children are not raised to be patriotic, then what will our country be when their generation is in leadership?

It's like December 7th. I don't know if the average American gives much thought to that day either. I like to remember and be thankful to those men and women who serve our country and put their own lives in harms way for the sake of this nation.

Did your kids do anything special for 9/11 at school? I need to hear some encouragement that other schools at least acknowledged the day.



"Joshua said to them: "Cross over before the ark of the Lord your God into the midst of the Jordan, and each one of you take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the children of Israel, that this may be a sign among you when your children ask in time to come, saying, 'What do these stones mean to you?' Then you shall answer them that the waters of the Jordan were cut off before the ark of the Lord; when it crossed over the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. And these stones shall be for a memorial to the children of Israel forever."

--- Joshua 4: 5-7

5 comments:

  1. Nathan's class made pins to put on their bookbags and the high school had a moment of silence. Emily's class (5th grade) talked about what had happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids did talk about it in their classes at school. But I think you are right - I think a lot of adults have forgotten. It scares me a little to see how quickly our (mostly) prosperous and comfortable country forgets the sacrifices that keep us comfortable.

    I love the scripture. And I love your quilt blocks! They look great! I'm excited to see it come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very thoughtful, Lisa. Love the Scripture and your beautiful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what's sad is I didn't even ask my children if they did anything. True I was flying home from the annual vegas trip and when I got home was more into seeing them than hearing all the school news really. But it is something I need to talk with them about for sure and maybe something that I can do throgh the PTA on all those days that should be set aside for remembering the fallen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lisa-
    Great thought and blog, I wanted to let you know that it would have went by the wayside here at ND also except Garrett brought it up to the principal. Garrett got on the intercom and had everyone rise for the pledge of allegiance and then had a moment of silence for those that lost their lives on 9/11. I was one proud Mom that day.:) Now every Monday morning as the student council President he does the pledge of allegiance on the intercom with the school.

    ReplyDelete