Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Waiting... Waiting...

It's sooooo quiet around here! The 3 older kids began school today and the little one is down for a nap. Quiet is not always a bad thing, it can be good, in fact.

I just never enjoy the first day of school. I miss them.
We have a little tradition around here on the first day. The kids get to come home to fresh baked cookies and we sit around eating cookies and discuss the happenings of school.
So I went to bake some cookies this afternoon, and NO chocolate chips. uh oh!!



I flipped through a new cookie cookbook and found these. But, uh oh, Lindsey just ate the last apple from the fruit bowl. Thank God for the apple trees outside that are putting on ripe fruit! I ran out to the nearest apple tree and picked a couple for this recipe... And they are YUMMY!


Apple- Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup shortening

3/4 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup diced,peeled apples

1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease baking sheets.

Combine flour, baking powder, spices and salt.

In another bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs.

Blend in the dry ingredients. Fold in apples, oatmeal and nuts.

Drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake 12 -15 minutes until golden brown.

Makes about 3 dozen.

Now I'm just waiting for my kiddos to get home!! (Hopefully there will be some cookies left over for them.... ha ha!)

"Let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."

--- James 1: 4

3 comments:

  1. I hope their first day went well, Lisa! It's been very, very quiet around here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they had a wonderful day at school, Lisa:) You made a wonderful memory for them coming home to those cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookies look and sound wonderful! I'll have to try those!

    It always takes time to adjust when they return back to school doesn't it? I remember the feeling.

    I'm sure you'll be able to fill the time! Take care!

    ReplyDelete