Beautiful photos & amazing stories of quilts coming across and through the most rugged terrain imaginable!
Those women of the Oregon Trail inspire me and I am in awe of the way they managed family life during those difficult years in the wagon train.
They used their quilts for many purposes: to wrap their grandmother's tea set in to prevent breakage, to warm their children when they encountered severe weather, to provide a source of enjoyment during those dismal days, and to leave a legacy and a story behind for future generations.
This particular quilt and home are located only a few miles of where we used to live. An amazing family with an amazing story of homesteading in a tranquil, little valley in Oregon.....
Another book that I have loved reading lately and completed in only a couple days (yes, it's that good!!) is The Frontiersman's Daughter by Laura Frantz.
It's history, romance, intrigue... all contained between a front and back cover. Loved this one!
And the neat thing is that the author is one of my blogging friends. She is a great mom, wife, and author. The best part is that she loves Jesus and truly prays about each step and phase in the book writing process. She has said that her stories are His stories... isn't that cool? She wishes to honor God through her writing!
She is now awaiting the final steps in her 2nd book... Courting Morrow Little. I am so looking forward to reading it.
And she is completing the writing of her 3rd book... The Locket.
Go visit her at her blog.
You can find her book on cbd.com or amazon.
I was special enough to get an autographed copy!! ha ha
Loved this post and the information. I have always loved stories from the Oregan trail and pioneers. I love reading the diaries that the folks wrote in those times. Have a wonderful week, blessings,Kathleen
ReplyDeleteWow, there's a book I'd love to get my hands on! If you like history and quilts (which it seems as though you do) then Civil War Women by Barbara Brackman is another good one. Maybe your library has that one too! :)
ReplyDeleteLisa,
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweetheart you are!! I just woke up and came over here and am just smiling so hard:) THANK YOU for such a wonderful post and sharing your enthusiasm for my book ministry. You are one of my most precious readers and friends!! I'd love the book on quilts myself - the cover is just beautiful. I'm having trouble catching up from my trip out of town so am behind on my blog reading. Blessings to you and yours today, my sweet friend! You've certainly made mine memorable!
I love those pioneer quilts. They are hands down my favorite quilts - the beauty that came from their resourcefulness is so inspiring. Also such a witness that women are given a gift to create beauty from anything - even old scraps of fabric. Thanks for the information on Laura Frantz. I'm going to look for that book!
ReplyDelete