Friday, January 8, 2010

The Downhill Stretch

Warning: Rambling post follows..............................


I think I finally made some progress on getting my house back in order since Christmas.
The last of the inside decorations were packed away and some of the outside lights were taken down today (in between rain showers).

In a way it feels nice to have things back to normal but it also makes me a bit sad too.
The kids returned to school this week. I'm struggling some with the school and the administration. It's a hard situation to send your kiddos off and trust the staff to teach them.
I have prayerfully considered homeschool but my husband is not on board with that. So in the meantime, I pray and pray and pray for the kids. For the staff. For the other students.
It's a war-zone out there!!

I'm also dealing with some issues with our church (personal issues). Love the adult Sunday School class but not so much the sermon time. It's alot of "milk" and not much "meat".
I'm a carnivore....... I NEED meat!! ha ha
I want to be challenged. I want to take something with me for the week. I want to desire to be in the Word more.
Maybe it's just me. not sure.
Why I'm thinking about it, I have a question. For those of you who are Christians and know the Bible (or for that matter, maybe you are just learning).....
Do you believe in "Once saved, always saved"? or
Do you think we can accept the gift of salvation and then deny it later on, turning our back on Jesus?
If you have a thought on this, I'd love to hear. Please give scripture references if you have them.
There are a few of you out there ,that I know read my blog, that I'm hoping give me some thoughts on this subject.


On another note, tomorrow is the end of Ryan's basketball season and the start of Bear's.
So we will be in town all day for tournaments. I'll be packing a bunch of toys, books and snacks to keep Lindsey entertained for all of 15 minutes! She is so busy!

Not much else going on around here.
I'm off to bed now, I'm tired.
My brain doesn't seem to want to turn off tonight but my body shut down an hour ago!

Good night to you all!

8 comments:

  1. I'm a firm believer in, "once saved, always saved." I absolutely think that people can stray from the Lord and not be living a Christian lifestyle and still be saved. I do believe that if they truly accepted Christ into their hearts, that they are eternally forgiven and a child of His; that they will one day be in Heaven with Him.
    I can't even think of a way that you could possible lose your salvation. The Lord forgives all, if you ask for forgiveness, and a sin is a sin, whether it's speaking badly about someone else, or stealing, or adultery.
    We are all sinners and "fall short of the glory of God" some just fall a little more short!:) But we are not the judges of that, God is.

    Sorry about the meatless sermons. I'm like you, I need something more! :)
    And I'm sorry about your kids and their school situation. After having a child in the 7th grade at public school, I will absolutely be homeschooling our other 3. I'm thankful that my husband is on board with that. I'll be praying for you and a changed heart for your hubby! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog. :)
    I just wanted to encourage you about the homeschool thing. Besides the fact that (as we know), God will protect our kids! My DH was not so on board about homeschooling when we married. He was willing to try it out, but he didn't have much faith it would work and if I hadn't wanted to do it, we definitely wouldn't have done so. Fast forward to now, he still probably has concerns I don't, but he is the one bringing up going to a homeschool conference and he is the one saying, "We need to encourage my brother and his wife to homeschool"! What a change! So if that is what God has for you, he can certainly change hearts. I'm sure you know what, but sometimes it is nice to hear someones story. :)
    And very briefly, I used to believe we could lose our salvation if we turned our backs on God. But now I am not so sure. Besides excellent teaching on the subject, I have also had a very emotionally bad last couple of years and I have realized that our faith is less dependant on us than I once believed...and I have clung to that. I believe when it talks in Eph. 4:30 about the Holy Spirit sealing us, that it is a done deal. I still don't claim to know for sure, but I know that it is less about my strenth and more about HIS. And that is the longest comment I have ever made on a blog I've never visited before! :) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I homeschooled our children for 8 years,in town, and it was a wonderful thing, and then when we moved out to the country, there was a wonderful school we had been told about. The children were in their early teens. The school was just wonderful...and yes, there were a few struggles...but we weathered it through. You are in my prayers..... On once saved, always saved....I believe, that once we take Jesus as our Saviour, nothing can erase our names on His tablet....however, I do believe that since we are all human...we can all stray and be away from God for awhile. But I really believe, that Jesus stays in our hearts, even when we don't remember Him in our heads....... Have a wonderful week, and I hope that all of your struggles go away! blessings,Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I'm finally catching up with my blog reading and you're top of the list:) I'm going to look for some Scripture for you in hopes of helping answer your question.
    The Lord knows you want to homeschool and He understands your frustrations with the school system. He also honors your honoring of your husband when you take his wishes into consideration. You are doing such a terrific job, Lisa, just where you are! Know that God understands the desires of your heart. He has good things in store. Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because I just love your blog, I nominated it for an award on mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm, definitely once saved always saved! however, we can totally miss out on the blessings and the ability to bless others if we don't follow the prompting of the holy spirit on how we lead our lives on a daily basis (guilty), from the smallest thing (like a smile to someone on the street corner) to something I would consider larger. We all turn our back on Jesus when we don't do what the Holy Spirit is prompting us to do. Even when I'm guilty of doing that, I still believe I'm saved!
    Thanks for the thought provoking question this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I had to come out to the dining room to plug in and finish a comment to your other posts. I'll be getting back to you on this one for sure, lots here in this ramble. Hope you are hanging in there, with desiring meat that is. "Talk" to you tomorrow at breakfast, but for now it is cold out here in the dining room, I'm heading back to bed, to pray for you friend and your lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the other comments here and I really don't need to add my two cents.... but I will. First, I appologize for not getting over here regularly, and so this is late but just in case you need more boosting two weeks later, here goes.

    Well what I had here on the topic was too long it would not take it so... If you don't mind I think I will take this comment over to my blog and expand on it there. Comment boxes are sort of limiting, no bolding or italicising any way.

    So some shorter stuff:

    I'm guessing your concern is not for yourself. Ultimately we cannot know what is in someone else's heart. All we can do is inquire, know their history and understand how the Holy Spirit would have us be in their lives. It is not for us to say who is coming and who is not, who is now saved, who is not saved and who will be saved. But it is our job to let those in our circle of influence know the truth about God, The Father, Christ, and the Holy Spirit and ourselves. It is also for us to decern who should be in our circle of influence, such as the man who is the main subject of Corinthians 5, and who ought to be in our little ones' circle of influence. In three of the Gospels Christ's own word tell us so, Luke 17:1-2, Matthew 18:6 and Mark 9:42.

    And I totally agree with what was said about God honoring you being obedient to your husband and not struggling with him on homeschooling. You cannot manipulate him or argue him into submission to your desires. You can and ought to speak plainly with him about what you see, when you see it. He loves you and the children.

    ReplyDelete