This is what an average Christmas to-do list consists of (well, my list looks like this):
-bake candy and cookies
-make Christmas cards & of course mail them
-shop for gifts
-wrap the gifts
-attend kids Christmas programs
-decorate the house
-get the tree
-go to Christmas parties
-do crafts with the kids
Does yours have the same things on it?
During my morning devotion today, (http://www.proverbs31devotions.blogspot.com/ ) the author started out with this question: Are you ready for the Holidays?
Then she went into how when people ask that they just want to know if your Christmas to-do list is checked off.
She's right. That's what I mean when I ask that question. But what should it mean?
This is Van Walton's thought:
"I wonder, if Jesus were making a holiday preparations list, what would He include? What if those who were there on Christ's birthday could advise us on getting ready for Christmas? What would be on their list?
JOSEPH might recommend we listen closely to the voice of God to prepare.
MARY may suggest we ponder the miracles of heaven.
Perhaps the ANGELS would propose we sing about the King.
The SHEPHERDS may gently guide us to follow their acts of worship.
Possibly the WISE MEN would teach us to give Jesus our most valuable gifts.
The INNKEEPER may suggest hospitality; open your heart and home.
And JESUS' list would likely encourage us to be a light on the hill pointing the way for others to know Him."
This really made me stop to think a bit. I know I strive to do all these things and of course there is nothing wrong with the original list. But it does come down to where my heart is in the whole process of "getting ready for Christmas".
Something I'm going to ponder for awhile and make it a point to include God's Christmas preparation items along with my list. As the kids and I are making crafts or baking, we can talk about that special Christmas when Jesus was born. We can sing carols declaring His birth. And at dinner prayer we can thank Him for this lovely time of year spent with family reflecting on His most gracious gift to us.
"What matters is not your outer appearance.. but your inner disposition." I Peter 3:1
I love reading your Blog and most of all I love your heart.
ReplyDeleteJust love your words on this and I love the proverbs 31 blog! What a great place to visit. Your baby with the bow on her head makes me miss my daughter so much. She graduated last year and is now in the Navy. This is the first Christmas she will not be home. I just love your children's photos. Enjoy them while they are small and within your arms reach {: Blessings, Kathleen
ReplyDeleteLovely thoughts, Lisa. I always enjoy your blog. :) Love the cabin fever projects too! When my first was little I hated play-doh because I thought it was so messy, but I have since learned to embrace play-doh and made it my dear friend. :)
ReplyDelete