
We are all a bit sad tonight. Some coons got into the hen house and took Dorcas. It was my fault... I didn't get out there before dark to close up the coop.
I had let them out today to forage and free range for a little while and the coons must have been waiting for darkness to sneak in and steal our girl.
Kyle has been frantic trying to come up with plan to get those villains!
This isn't the first time this has happened and I have to remind the kids that this is part of having animals in the country. Raccoons were designed to like raw chicken and they will take an easy meal when it presents itself.
This fact still doesn't make it any easier on us... we get pretty attached to those funny little chick-chicks (as Lindsey calls them) ...
Goodbye Dorcas... one of my best egg layers!
Sorry to hear about your chicken I am sure that is hard on the kids. Tell Kyle I am sorry. Becky
ReplyDeleteLoosing chicken stinks, we hate it when we loose livestock, feathered or footed. Have you considered using electronet? Sold by http://www.premier1supplies.com/. Check out the possibilities.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about Dorcas. She was pretty. When we had chickens, the hardest part was losing them to various wildlife.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry. I know what you mean about getting attatched to our chickens. Hope you have a blessed new year. Blessings, Kathleen
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your chicken. Tell Ryan to get the shot gun out and stand watch they will be back.
ReplyDeleteOh, Dorcus was your favorite too. I'm sorry hun, I know how it is. I feel the same way about my sheep. But isn't it funny how god instills this desire to love and care for things that are vulnerable. No wonder he constantly calls us his sheep. :)
ReplyDelete