Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My First "Done" Quilt!


Yeah... I finally completed a complete quilt! I have done alot of looking at other quilts and reading quilt blogs to learn and get inspired.

but ssshhh. It's a secret... at least until Saturday. That is when I will give it to my new niece, Amaris, at her baby shower.

I am proud of it but I'm also painfully aware of each little pucker, each odd measured piece, each uneven section of the binding. But I know this is all part of the learning process... plus, it wouldn't be handmade without some little oddities, right? Hopefully the ladies at the shower won't inspect it too closely!

I'm still debating whether or not I will add a label to the back. I guess it might be important in the future for my name and the date and Amaris' name to be on it.






I followed very precise instructions to make the actual blocks but then the rest was a fun creative process. I added the dark pink sashing, and the 2 borders and thought that would be it. But the more I looked at it, I could tell it needed something more.

So the patchwork border was my answer to that, and I really like it. It brings all the colors and fabrics together.
The binding was basically whatever fabric I had enough of to go all the way around the quilt.

The backing is my favorite fabric in the whole thing. I love it because it has a little old-fashioned, girly quality to it.

I HOPE THEY LIKE IT... I ESPECIALLY HOPE THAT LITTLE AMARIS MERCEDES LIKES BEING WRAPPED UP IN IT!!

This has definitely been a "Labor of LOVE"!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt Lisa I am proud of you for making it, I am sure your niece will love it as well.Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I think the patchwork border is a very nice touch and I bet she will love it too. Definitely add the label!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a loving gift. What a blessed little baby and family to have such loving things done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go!! It turned out great. I'm sure baby Amaris will love it. Good for you.

    Those cream-cheese brownies look heavenly. Going to have to make some. I start drooling every time I pull-up your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! You did awesome. I am sure all will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa, I tried to post my comment but my computer froze, so here once more.... you did a beautiful job! The colors and the background are all just lovely. Your niece will treasure this for years to come. Wonderful work, blessings, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done! Can't believe you quilted it yourself...wow!!!

    ReplyDelete