Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Amish Apple Fritters


I decided to be adventurous and try something new with those apples from the previous post.

I'm glad I did!! Oh my! These could be my downfall!


Here ya go:

1 packet active dry yeast

1/2 cup warm water

1 egg, beaten

2 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp shortening, melted (I used Crisco)

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 cup sifted flour

1 cup chopped, peeled apples

powdered sugar to sprinkle


Add yeast to the warm water in a large bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Mix egg, sugar, melted shortening, and salt into yeast mixture. Stir in sifted flour. Cover and let rise for about 45 minutes.

Stir down the dough and mix in chopped apples.

Preheat about 1 inch of oil in a skillet. I had mine set just above medium. Or 370 degrees.

Carefully drop batter by spoonfuls into hot oil. Move them around a little to keep from sticking.

Fry until a golden brown on both sides.

Remove with a slotted spoon onto a rack.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Makes about 2 dozen fritters.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm sounds kind of good. I expect you to have left some for me. Did you not? Just kidding. I guess I could just drive a half hour and get them myself. Sounds like a good idea auctually.

    ReplyDelete