Thursday, October 16, 2008

Scripture for Punishment?

I have a question-- Does anyone else make their kids copy down scriptures for punishment?

For example:
Over-reacting with anger-- Proverbs 29:11
"A fool vents all his feelings, but a wise man holds them back."

Lying-- Proverbs 12:22
"Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who deal truthfully are His delight. "

Speaking "snotty" to siblings-- Proverbs 15:1
"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

Arguing about no more TV or computer-- Psalm 119:37
"Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your ways."

And the all-time favorite--Matthew 7:12
"Whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them..." (The Golden Rule)

As you can see, we have a few "favorites". When they have behaved inappropriately and we deem it necessary they usually have to spend some time writing a verse (usually a page full) pertaining to the offense. I have done this with my kids for some time now, but always wonder if using scripture for punishment is wise.
I want the Bible to be pleasure reading for them but I also want them to realize that it's not just Mom and Dad making up these rules. God has set these principles in place for a reason. For us to learn and grow!
I'm just curious what you all think about this form of discipline and if you have ever used it.

No comments:

Post a Comment