Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Baking Day

I got in the baking mood today and tried a couple new recipes. They both turned out really good so I'll share them with you.

CHOCOLATE MINT COOKIES
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp water
1 package semisweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
bag of Andes mints
In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter, sugar, and water. Add chocolate chips and stir until mostly melted. Pour into a large mixing bowl and let cool for 10-12 minutes. Mix on high speed, beat in eggs. Reduce speed and add dry ingredients. Mix until well blended. Chill for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350. Spray baking sheets with no-stick spray. Roll dough into teaspoon size balls. (I made mine a little larger). Place on cookie sheets. Bake for 12 minutes, no longer. Immediately place half of an Andes mint on each hot cookie. Allow the mint to soften then swirl with a butter knife.
I had bought these peppermint Andes mints, so I used them instead of the usual green mints. They turned out very yummy! Very festive looking!


HERB CHEESE BREAD

1 1/3 cup warm water

2 tbsp butter,softened

1/2 tsp salt

3 tsp sugar

1 tsp Italian seasoning

3 cups bread flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 package active dry yeast

2/3 cup shredded swiss cheese

1/4 cup grated parmesan

In a bread machine, place the first 8 ingredients. Select the dough setting. Just before the final kneading cycle, add the cheeses. I had to add a little bit of water to the dough too.

When the dough cycle is complete, turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead a couple of times. Place in a large greased loaf pan. Or 2 small loaf pans. ( I actually use a small roaster because with 6 people in the family, we need a large loaf!) Allow to rise until doubled. Bake at 375 degrees.

To be honest, I'm not sure how long I baked it for. I just kept an eye on it and when it had browned nicely I removed it from the oven. I always rub butter over the top of my bread when it's hot to make a nice shiny, golden appearance.



6 comments:

  1. Oooh, these both look so good, Lisa. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try this one. Thank you for sharing. Keep them comming. I have one to share with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am gonna try the cookie recipe, that looks like a good one for the boys' christmas cookie trays. Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these last night and they are so Yummy! Thanks again for sharing.

    Marla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies look amazing. I joined in a cookie swap this Christmas so I have to make 12 dozen cookies - these would be great. Thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time stopping by your blog. I love it! The herb cheese bread looks yummy. I'm going to print it out and definitely give it a try. I posted a recipe for garlic cheese rolls a couple weeks ago; if you're a fellow bread machine fan you might like it.

    I love your stitchery project, too! I agree, low-stress projects are the way to go. Something relatively mindless to work on in the evening when we're watching t.v. or a movie. I'm doing a couple cross stitch ornaments now that are a little more intricate than I knew when I started ;o Anyway, thanks for all the great posts. I'm going to spend some time here looking around more :)

    ReplyDelete